Sunday, December 8, 2019

Online Footprint

Image result for social media

       I would say that I have quite a large online footprint, and the more I look into it, the larger it appears to be. While I do not have a personal website, it is not at all difficult to find me online at all. I am on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YoutTube, Google, Blogger, VSCO, Reddit, Pinterest, Snapchat, Soundcloud, Tumblr, and TicTok. And those are just the ones I can remember right off the bat, I'm sure there are more that I have made and am just forgetting. As far as what I have linked to them, not too much except for some professional stuff on my LinkedIn. Most of the rest is just personal pictures and thoughts.

        Someone could find out what I look like, where I am from, where I go to school, who I am friends with, what music I like, what I like to do for fun, when my birthday is, what I am studying, and what positions I hold/have held, and probably more just by looking through my social media. 

       As far as private information, I don't even know how many places I have given out my phone number and email to. Aside from that, I have no clue how many times I have clicked yes to the terms and conditions without knowing what I was agreeing to in the slightest. I did it just because I wanted to get to the other side of the agreement and clicking through it is the easiest way to get it done. 

       I think that the widespread use of social media is both a good and bad thing. On one hand, it allows for the free spread of ideas and information between people that would otherwise have no means of communication. On the other, it can contribute to depression, loneliness, and obsession with an appearance on social media. Constantly seeing others who appear perfect makes it hard to look at yourself with the same confidence, and social media has certainly contributed to this. This can result in people closing themselves off and becoming lonely and depressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment