Sunday, December 8, 2019

Police Cameras

Image result for automatic license plate reader

       According to attorney Cathrine Crump, "NSA-style mass surveillance is enabling local police departments to gather vast quantities of sensitive information about each and every one of us in a way that was never previously possible." Automatic license plate readers, which are popping up more and more around the country, are being used to automatically scan license plates, take pictures of them, note locations, and pull reports on past wrongdoings. Crump goes on to say, "the issue is not just that one police department is gathering this information in isolation or even that multiple police departments are doing it. At the same time, the federal government is collecting all of these individual pots of data, and pooling them together into one vast database with hundreds of millions of hits, showing where Americans have traveled." 

      I find this information to be highly disturbing. I am a law-abiding citizen, and there is no cause for the government and police agencies to be tracking where I am going. Although, I act just like I don't know that my phone tracks every single place I go and how long I'm there. And if I were a betting man, I'd say it would be pretty easy for someone to get their hands on it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment